Differential Value of Life
What is the value of a Hindu Life in Saudi Arabia?
This is eerily reminiscent of the Saudi Arabian system of blood money, See the Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_money (or The Wall Street Journal, April 9, 2002): In Saudi Arabia when a person has been killed or caused to die by another, the perpetrator has to pay blood money, or compensation, as follows:
- 100,000 riyals if the victim is a Muslim man
- 50,000 riyals if a Muslim woman
- 50,000 riyals if a Christian man
- 25,000 riyals if a Christian woman
- 6,666 riyals if a Hindu man
- 3,333 riyals if a Hindu woman
Because of the lure of petro-dollars, everyone accepts this with a shrug, ‘That’s the way the Saudis are’”, although it violates our notions about human rights and egalitarianism. A sad State of Affairs when entire Indian political class goes extra miles for proving their secular credentials.
1,169 total views, 1 views today